The History Of The STMA
Shefford Town Memorial Association
For a Growing & Changing Community
The STMA was formed in 1948 when the then Digswell House and its grounds was purchased through the Shefford Town Council from public subscription, in honour of the men and women of Shefford who died or suffered as a result of the second world war for the provision of recreation and educational facilities. A committee of volunteers was formed to oversee its day to day running and management.
In 1963 Digswell house was knocked down and replaced with a more manageable facility on its grounds to include a bar, hall and meeting rooms. There have been numerous changes since its opening on 11th April 1964 to upgrade and expand its facilities to better serve an expanding community it was formed for. In 2017 the front area of the building had a much needed upgrade to provide better toilets, sports changing rooms, kitchen and meeting room.
We already have numerous groups that cater for a wide range of public interests from art to amateur dramatics, bowls to ballet, and fitness to football. There are also a variety pub sports and activities that take place within our bars. The hall also plays host to numerous functions and events and can be booked to the general public for private parties etc and can often be seen full of people celebrating and having fun together.
There’s always something to keep us busy, whether it be maintenance, bookings or making and discussing plans to further develop the STMA for now and for the future.
It’s our aim to continue to uphold the fundamentals the STMA was first formed, to provide an environment that caters for as many people as possible within the local community and actively support and encourage more people to make use of the building and its grounds.
STMA Management Committee